What is Keylogger Software – How to Detect it?
What is keylogger software? It is a malicious program that tracks and records the characters entered on the keyboard. It remains a serious threat to consumers and companies because of its data-stealing capability. That’s what is keylogger software.
To better understand what is keylogger software capable of, we’ll discuss how does keylogger software work.
What is Keylogger Software: HOW DOES KEYLOGGER SOFTWARE WORK?
A keylogger has similarities with a rootkit, which means that it can stay invisible in the system. Therefore, it can lie undetected for a long time. Once a keylogger enters the computer, it monitors the path that the characters you type travel through to capture and record keys. It can also capture your monitor. Then it transmits the information to the hacker via a remote server.
A keylogger doesn’t cause computer damage or glitches, but it can cause unauthorized transactions. Once a hacker obtains the personal information, they can use it to access the victim’s account without permission. That is how keyloggers work.
What is Keylogger Software: HOW DO HACKERS SPREAD KEYLOGGERS?
Hackers spread keyloggers through the following methods:
- Phishing Email – an email disguised as legitimate but contains a malicious attachment. When the user downloads the email attachment, a keylogger installs behind the background.
- Exploit Kits – a tool that exploits vulnerabilities on IoT devices and web browsers. Once it discovers a vulnerability, it injects a keylogger.
- Phishing URL – an infected link that redirects the user to a malicious website with malware such as keyloggers. Often promises a crack version of the software.
- Drive-by-Downloads – is obtained by visiting a malware infected website. The malicious website installs keylogger without the user’s knowledge.
- Fake Software – a keylogger can disguise as legitimate software to trick users into downloading it. Sometimes a keylogger is embedded on the free application. It installs as part of the application. This is common on untrusted websites.
Those are the common methods hackers use to spread keyloggers.
What is Keylogger Software: HOW CAN YOU PROTECT YOURSELF FROM KEYLOGGERS?
If you want to protect your computer and personal information against keyloggers, here are some ways to stay safe from a keylogger attack.
- 2-Step Verification – Provide strong tag you can protect yourself from keyloggers by enabling a 2-Step Verification on your account. This prevents hackers from gaining access to your account even if he has your username and passwords. You need to provide the pin code sent via text to confirm your identity. This adds an extra layer of security against a keylogger attack.
- Install Anti Malware Software – Provide strong tag anti malware software prevents varieties of malware infections. It is a great tool for detecting and blocking keylogger on your computer. It is highly recommended to look for a trusted anti malware program that can protect you against phishing and drive-by-downloads. If the anti malware software doesn’t have phishing and drive-by-download detection, you may still fall victim to a keylogger attack. Choose advanced anti malware software.
- Key Encryption Software – Provide strong tag key encryption software prevents keyloggers from logging the characters you type by encrypting as they travel through the operating system. So even if a keylogger is monitoring the path the keys travel through, it cannot capture the exact keys you type. Only the encrypted characters.
- Avoid Downloading from Untrusted Websites – Provide strong tag you can also reduce the risk of a keylogger infection if avoid downloading applications from non-secure websites. Some users download the crack version of the software on untrusted websites. That comes with a price – a keylogger infection. You may unintentionally download a keylogger that pretends as a decent application. No free software is worth a keylogger infection. It puts your personal information at risk.
What is Keylogger Software: HOW TO DETECT KEYLOGGER ON YOUR PC?
Now that we know how to avoid a keylogger infection, how can you tell on the off chance that there’s a keylogger hiding in your computer? Below are the steps to detect a keylogger.
STEP NO. 1 – FULL MALWARE SCAN
If you want to ensure complete keylogger protection, do a full malware scan on your computer. Download an anti malware program first. Check out the best anti malware software. Once the anti malware is downloaded and installed, scan the entire computer. The anti malware software scans the computer not only for keyloggers but other types of malware such as trojan, ransomware, rootkit, spyware, and more! Then it will display the threats detected and removed from the computer.
STEP NO. 2 – TASK MANAGER
If you want to view if there’s a malicious application running in your computer, open Task Manager. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del. Go to the process tab to check if there’s a suspicious file. It can be difficult to detect a keylogger in the list of applications. Look for an application with a suspicious publisher and disable it.
STEP NO. 3 – PROGRAMS AND FEATURES
Xcitium You can also check your computer for malicious applications in Programs and Features. Go through the list of installed programs and look for any suspicious application that you didn’t install. Keyloggers install silently in the background. If the application seems malicious, uninstall it.
Keylogger software is stealthy, you need to protect your computer with the best anti malware software to prevent a keylogger infection. Prevention is always better than cure.